Creating a risk management checklist for your self-storage business can be a challenge, and this series of articles offers suggestions for various categories and items that you may want to include in your checklist. The focus for this checklist is hazardous materials.
The following questions may be useful as part of your company-wide risk management checklist.
Hazardous Materials Checklist
- Does the rental agreement have a clause addressing storage of hazardous materials?
- Are employees trained to identify exposures associated with hazardous materials?
- Are employees trained on procedures to address a hazardous materials exposure?
- Are employees trained to investigate the storage of barrels, cans and drums that are entering the facility to be stored?
- Are emergency telephone numbers posted in the event hazardous materials are identified?
This brief article is not intended to provide specific legal analysis or advice, and should not be construed to apply to every potential situation involving insurance coverages and losses. For specific information and questions concerning this article and the information contained therein, please consult your insurance agent and/or your attorney.