While wildfires can occur anywhere in the country, some areas, such as the western states, have a designated wildfire season when conditions are particularly conducive to the start and spread of fire. Here are some tips to help you be prepared in the event of wildfire.
- Sign up for the community warning system or monitor emergency alerts on radio or television.
- Know your community's evacuation plan and identify several ways to leave the area.
- Gather emergency supplies including N95 respirator masks.
- Pay attention to air-quality alerts.
- Keep important documents in a fireproof, safe place with digital copies on an off-site computer or in the cloud.
- Use fire-resistant materials to build, renovate, or make repairs.
- Review your insurance policy with your agent at least annually.
Next week, we will review tips for surviving during a wildfire.
For more information about wildfires:
OSHA Wildfire Preparedness Information
For more tips, sign up for the quarterly e-Risk Management newsletter. It's free!
President & CEO