Preparing for Freezing Temperatures
When temperatures drop below freezing, the risk of damage from burst pipes increases. Frozen pipes can cause extensive damage requiring substantial cost to repair, and the potential for lengthy business disruption is considerable.
When freezing temperatures are in the forecast, make sure to accomplish these tasks.
- Monitor sprinkler systems, HVAC, and water-filled equipment lines every few hours during freezing conditions.
- Use heaters where possible and appropriate in susceptible areas.
- Open water faucets slightly to keep water flowing and prevent freezing.
- Use tarps as needed to protect vulnerable equipment.
- Turn off the water supply to avoid leaks in the event of frozen pipes.
For more tips, sign up for the quarterly e-Risk Management newsletter. It's free!
Make it a safe day!
President & CEO