The Department of Homeland Security’s website www.Ready.gov, recommends the following steps to prepare for wildfires.
- Sign up for your community’s warning system.
- Monitor alerts from the Emergency Alert System (EAS) and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Weather Radio.
- Know your community’s evacuation plan.
Make a Plan
- Identify multiple evacuation routes and drive them to familiarize yourself with roads and landmarks.
- Create a written plan for evacuating employees and customers on the premises.
- Once the plan is established, provide training for facility staff on a recurring basis.
- Gather emergency supplies including N95 respirator masks.
- Store important documents in a secure, fireproof place and create digital backup copies.
NEXT WEEK: Tips for creating a defensible space around your buildings