Which flood alert is more critical – a watch or a warning? It’s important to know the differences in the warning system alerts and understand the appropriate action to take for each alert level.
- Meaning: Flooding is possible.
- Action: Monitor radio and television stations for more information.
Flash Flood Watch
- Meaning: Flash flooding is possible.
- Action: Be prepared to move to higher ground; monitor radio and television stations for more information.
- Meaning: Imminent threat; flooding is occurring or will occur soon.
- Action: If advised to evacuate, do so immediately.
Flash Flood Warning
- Meaning: Imminent threat; a flash flood is occurring or will occur soon.
- Action: Seek higher ground on foot immediately.
Next week, we will review the risks of driving in flood conditions.
For more information on active weather alerts:
National Weather Service Alerts
Get more tips with the latest issue of e-Risk Management newsletter.
Make it a safe day!
President & CEO