According to the National Interagency Fire Center, federal wildfire suppression costs range from $1-2 billion annually. Here are some tips to help you survive during a wildfire.
- Call 9-1-1 to report a fire. Don’t assume that someone else has reported it.
- Monitor the Emergency Alert System (EAS), National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAAO Weather Radio), and local alerting systems.
- Stay inside in a safe location or go to a community building where smoke levels are lower.
- Use N95 masks to filter out harmful particles in the air.
- Evacuate immediately when ordered to do so by authorities.
- If you are trapped, call 9-1-1 to report your location and turn on lights to help rescuers find you.
NEXT WEEK: Staying safe after a wildfire.