If you need to drive in flood conditions, be mindful of the risks and take the necessary precautions. According to the National Weather Service, almost half of all flash flood fatalities occur in vehicles, so it is important to be prepared.
- Six inches of standing water can stall some cars.
- One foot of water can float a vehicle.
- Two feet of moving water can sweep a car away.
- If the water level is rising, abandon the vehicle.
- Do not cross flooded roadways if you don’t know the depth of the water.
- Do not enter a flooded underpass.
Remember the warning: Turn Around, Don’t Drown.