First aid actions for heat-related illness:
- Call a supervisor or co-worker for help. If no one is available, call 911.
- Have someone stay with the person until emergency medical personnel arrive.
- Move the person to an area that is air conditioned or shaded.
- Remove the person’s outer clothing.
- Fan the person and mist them with water. Apply ice bags or ice towels.
- If the person is able to drink, give them cool water.
If the person has lost consciousness or seems confused, CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY. Next, apply ice as quickly as possible. These symptoms may indicate heat stroke, which can be deadly and must be treated immediately.