The growing frequency and severity of weather events such as wind, hail, and torrential rain can increase the risk of flooding. Before flood waters approach your self-storage facility, make sure to put an evacuation plan in place to ensure your personal safety and that of your employees and customers.
A thorough evacuation plan should include:
- Conditions that will activate the plan
- Specific evacuation procedures
- Maps of evacuation routes
- Procedures for accounting for all personnel
- Emergency functions with staff assignments
- Emergency equipment
In addition, it is important to conduct staff training on a regular basis to familiarize managers with the evacuation plan.
Next week, we will review the flood warning system and discuss the differences between flood watches and flood warnings.
For more information on evacuation planning:
Make it a safe day!
President & CEO